Friday, February 20, 2015

"There's No Place Like Home"


Although I wasn't born in a rural setting, I currently live in farm country. The one thing I notice about farmers is that farming runs through their veins. It's like they can't help themselves. They're passionate about the farm life.  I also believe this is true about crafters. They're always designing, creating and improving something. Sue, from Wisconsin Rapids, is one of these people and my feature Etsy shop this week. Sue's Akorn Shop is the place to go for some great kitchen and bath towels, aprons, mercury glass and other types of home decor. Here's a recent interview I had with Sue.

Mary: What made you decide to open an Etsy shop?

Sue: I have been crafting all of my life. I made crocheted afghans, penny rugs, cross stitch items, fleece blankets, tutus just to name a few. Many of these items I gave away to friends and family, and the recipients commented on how nice they were and how much they liked them. So I decided, after much encouragement from my daughter, to open an Etsy shop where I could give others the pleasure of owning these wonderful items as well. I also wanted to try my hand at selling.

Mary: How long ago did you open your shop and how did you decide on a business name?

Sue: I opened my shop in May of 2013. At the time I opened my shop, my father-in-law had passed away. My shop helped me get through the loss. My daughter suggested that I name my shop in his memory.

Mary: Would you please be more specific?

Sue: My father-in-law's name was Allen Koran and he always registered his car license plate as AKORN3. Hence, Sue's Akorn Shop

In Sue's shop you will find a variety of holiday themed hand towels. 

Shamrock Kitchen Towel $8.00

Hippity Hoppity Kitchen Hand Towel $8.00

           
      

Pumpkin Tie On Tea Towel $7.00


  

Patriotic Flour Sack Dish Towel $8.00


Mary: Can you tell me a little about your creative process?


Sue: When I'm out and about, I'm always searching for new towels, fabrics and materials.  I like to integrate them into my  designs. I like to fashion something practical or pretty to add to my shop.

Red Plaid Half Apron $14.00

Men's Green Stripe

Grilling Apron $16.00


Mary: What are some of your favorite things to do outside your shop?

Sue: Well, when I'm not creating new items or making shop improvements I like to spend time with my family. My husband and I have 4 grown children and 4 grandchildren. And of course, there's our 5 month old cute and lovable Pip, the  newest member of the family. Pip is a non shedding Shipoo who helps keep me company in my shop. 


Pip


Mary: Besides your kitchen and bath towels, what other items to you carry in your shop?

Sue: I do carry some supplies, but I also have some primitive and other home decor items. I hope to
continue adding more items in my shop so my customers can choose from a variety of products.

Mary: Can you explain what primitive decor is?

Sue: It's a style of decorating that uses elements of muted colors and have a simple and rough look about them. It's associated with folk art style characteristic of early Americana time period.


Primitive Pillow $10.00


Drawstring Rustic Tote $10.00

Mary: Where else can we find you?

Sue: You can find me on Instagram and Pinterest.

Mary: Thank you for allowing me feature you and your Etsy shop. 

Sue: Your welcome. 

Let's take a look at some other items in Sue's Akorn Shop.


Mercury Glass Tea Light Holders  $14.00

Primitive Christmas Stocking



Mercury Glass Jar with Lid, Diamond Pattern $20.00

So if you're looking for a special home decor gift any time of the year, you don't have to look any further than Sue's Akorn Shop. Everything is in stock and ready to ship. However, if you really want something special and can't find it in the shop, Sue's will also do custom orders. You can contact her through her Etsy shop. In the meantime just sit back, relax, shop away.


Your Style, Your Mood, Your Personality





  
                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment